Monday 10 October 2016

Underground, Overground: a visit to Toki



Toki Underground is high on the DC food scene hotlist, but over on the NE side it's a bit out of my usual territory. Arriving into Union Station after a trip to Baltimore, though, I headed up to Union Market and found it closed, and by then I was far enough over that a trip across to 12th St NE was only a few more blocks.


I arrived about 4:30 (opening time is 5pm) so stopped in the pub, or rather The Pug, next door. Despite the name, Toki Underground is actually upstairs -- I expected it to be in the basement!

While waiting I read a few reviews and realised it was just as well I was early, since this place is insanely popular. Some of the reviews mentioned a line forming outside prior to opening! This being a Monday it must have been a bit quieter; no line but when I headed up at 5:15 the place was already filling up.


The bar top features quirky pachinko decor, while cocktails are mixed right in front of you.


This take on an Old-Fashioned, the Toki Monster, featured a little garnish of candied, char-grilled butabara.


These gyoza in a tangy soy glaze were toothsome and tasty.


I opted for the kimchi ramen, which were surprisingly spicy with a rich, creamy broth. 

I may not be in Japan any more, but I can still eat ramen!

No comments:

Post a Comment